Friday, February 29, 2008

Significant Passage


Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. Why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.


Passage

“Granger stood looking back with Montag. “Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there. It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.”

Comments (What do you think about the passage?)


I was impressed in this passage (from "Granger to there") because it reminded me of listening to beautiful, classical music by well-known composers: musicians like Johann Bach. Sebastian and Beethoven. They left something to be remembered by: music! Although they are passed on, their beautiful music continues to be powerful and stirring. Well written music can never lose connection with us.


The line "It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away."I could understand what Granger meant what he said along the lines to Montag. He was refering to the situation when Montag had murdered Beatty. Montag's personality is complex. Since he was living in a society where they object to reading there was no opportunity for him to achieve knowledge that way. People in the novel (society) are weak-minded.

Why is this passage meaningful to me?

In many ways, I can relate this passage to my life. I always try to forget my embarrassing and sad memories from the pasts but since I was sensitive I was easily more influenced. My dad recommend me to read books. The reason was that it taught me lessons and encouraged me to not make similar mistakes from the past. I realized it was not important what you did as long as you realized you are not that person. My heart changed and I was thankful to gain the valuable knowledge the book contained. I do not remain pessimistic for my mistakes from the past. When I ponder about the two types of men: “A man who cuts the lawns” and “A real gardener is in the touching,” I want to be a gardener in my approach to life, including my relationships along with my work. My point is that information from books can be inspirational. Reading books can change one's view in a sudden change letting you explore other worlds.

No comments: