Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Setting


Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

The setting I found memorable but disturbing was when Montag was walking home from the fire station alone. It was at midnight. The rules for walking or being in the street was outlawed or considered a suspicious. The air was calm as if someone had waited there. Autumn leaves blew over the moonlit pavement.

This setting was disturbing to me because I had a similar experience when I was young and sensitive. At two o' clock A.M. I was walking home alone in an alley from hakwon with only a few people in sight. I was fearful that there would be someone who would attempt to threaten me. I was almost overwhelmed by my fears. I was too young for my age to deal with this. The area didn't feel welcome at all. After arriving home, I recounted my horrible experience to my mother. She said for me to arrive home earlier. Next time, I thought I would need someone to accompany me home safely. This was just a small example of a disturbing memory of which this passage reminded me. I realized planning for safety is important.

1 comment:

Clarion said...

I understand that different people have different opinions on certain matters, but I can't fully grasp why you think the setting you talked about was memorable. It was just a guy walking home by himself at midnight! It would be nice if you could elaborate on that.

Plus, I can't see how the setting you chose connects with your personal experience. In your experience, you said that you were scared, but I don't think Montag was scared at all in his situation. Also, did Montag feel unwelcome? I think not. Thus, I think you can see why I'm confused.

Although I disagree with what you're saying, I still think that everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, and I think that you did a good job of communicating your thoughts in an effective manner. Keep up the good work.